Special Local Area Network
SLAN creates a mesh network between special proximate Wi-Fi Access Points. Equipped with content caching memory and software, the SLAN creates content rich network as close to the user device as possible.
SLAN can be tuned to optimize the use of ISP bandwidth or even be independent of the ISP. This means high performance content delivery independent of the quality of Internet connectivity.
SLAN deployment is inexpensive since the end-user usually buys or rents the Wi-Fi Access Point hardware.
SLANS can be Mo2Go SpeedSpots
With SLANs, Mo2Go SpeedSpots are a neighborhood’s CDN:
- Every home and business has a Wi-Fi access point
- Now the content cache is even closer to the client device
Value for the users
- Fast content delivery performance independent of ISP bandwidth
- Faster video download time with lower latency
- Good video viewing experience even during peak bandwidth demand
Value for partners
- Can offload video demand bandwidth burden in the home and office
- Rapid, inexpensive deployment for fast critical mass
- ISP can selectively design and tune SLANs with strategic device placement, key content preloading, and other factors
- Mo2Go™ SpeedSpots™ everywhere
For example ISPs can reduce demand by preloading a single copy of popular content to a SLAN during off peak hours.
While this technology is in the early research phase and the full potential is not yet known, there are multiple clear paths to revenue enhancement and cost savings.